Monday, January 21, 2013

Why do Mormons go on missions?

Sister Adams and I on our last day as companions.
Sounds crazy, right? Why would teenage boys and girls give up 18 months to two whole years of their lives, when they are sure to be rejected by many? It means being far from family, being VERY far from your comfort zone, long hours, physical and mental exhaustion, rejection, etc. Why on earth would anyone do that, let alone pay their own way??

The key is the message that these young people have to share. The message that Mormon missionaries proclaim to the world is that the the church that Christ established during his life on earth was taken from the earth for many years, but now it is restored, and it's here to stay. They teach families how they can be together forever, and what the purpose of their crazy lives are. They teach people how to follow in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, so that they can live with Him again after this life. It's a bold message! (more about what Mormons believe can be found at www.mormon.org. Get it straight from the source, people.)

For me, the question was really, "How could I not go on a mission? How could I keep this message to myself, when it's brought me so much joy in my life?"  I had to share it. And even though there would be many, many people who rejected our message, I like to think that for ever door we had slammed in our face, that was one more person who would accept it and have their life changed. Okay, it's probably more like five doors for every person.

Of course, serving a mission is the hardest, most exhausting, most wonderful, incredible thing I have ever done in my life. It teaches discipline, hard-work, love, selflessness, service, how to teach children important principles, every important life-skill imaginable, really. However, the part that changed me the most was working with the people. I had felt the change that Jesus Christ had made in my heart, and I got to see the hearts of others change, too. I saw light start to shine in their eyes, where there had once been questions. I saw peoples' countenances completely change as they prepared to follow Jesus Christ's example and be baptized

If anyone else has comments about why members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serve missions, please feel free to comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment